Cheers Ken

ken garner ken_garner@...
Wed Nov 7 23:23:54 CET 2007

Many thanks for those kind words Andrew. The guy to credit for the
design which you feel makes it "a thing of beauty" is not me, but
designer EstuaryEnglish, a Peel listener the publisher told me, and
the editor Steve Tribe. My wife said people were going to love seeing
the session sheets, scripts, wall charts and stuff, and although I
didn't believe her she was right, whereas I just take them for
granted because I'm drowning in them here in my office at home and
have been since 1992. The session sheet images are scans of my own
copies, and hence some of the image visible in some cases is, er, my
annotations. The writing on The Beat one on p107 saying "not keyed..
his [bob sargeant's] writing (look for tell tale double quotes") is
me, using this one as an example to my keying helpers 15 years ago,
as i did for several, to id producers and engineers by their
handwriting when their names were left off, a frequent occurrence.
The Syd Barret and Bob Marley sheets are in Walters' hand; Dale
Griffin's capitals are unmistakeable on Napalm Death and Wedding
Present; the "SM? MR tick" on the siouxsie one on the back cover is
me. Sadly the romeo era from 88 onwards ended these adventures in
graphology, although some handwritten ones came in again at maida
vale from 98 onwards.

One of the best bits of memorabilia which we strongly considered for
the book but didn't quite make the final cut, was my Walters wall
chart from 1990 showing the two solid weeks in August when every
session was a Fall repeat. The idea was to just show that bit blown
up big with a witty caption. In 92 I had borrowed and transcribed all
Walters' old wallcharts that were stuffed in a corner  of egton 318,
before they were junked, from 86 thru to end 91 (nov 87-Feb 88
missing), but only ended up keeping a sample of a dozen or so. The
best one all round is the one on p114. Anyone spotted the red herring
in there, by the way? Tell you what , I'll post up that fall one as a
jpeg as a file in the site's photos section if i can...

Louise is not seven feet tall, and knows this picture is funny, taken
on some steps in Barcelona old town i think during the show's trip to
Sonar June 02.

ken

I'm rather dizzy with all this file sharing. I very nervously tried
and got one to work from yousendit - i liked that, it worked, i even
understood what was happening!