[peel] Did the BBC Tape the Peel Show?

Riving Ton deedeeramain@...
Thu Nov 1 11:22:25 CET 2007

Morning Ken!
Wow! That's really interesting and informative perhaps as a subversive group operating on the fringes of  society (and sanity) we should try to insert a mole into these places to ferret out (do moles ferret?!) more shows!
Thanks for the research and information!
Dee Dee

----- Original Message ----
From: ken garner <ken_garner@...>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2007 7:41:33 AM
Subject: [peel] Did the BBC Tape the Peel Show?

Did the BBC tape Peel's shows? Er, yes, and no. Very few from early
years, lots from latter years. Really depends on the year, producer,
and the period. Up to 1998 a small number each year were taped on
reel to reel as a sample and put in the BBC archive, either by
producers (Bernie Andrews taped the first Top Gear and several others
67-68 himself, for example), or from 87 ish by R1 archivist Phil
Lawton.

>From 97 ish when radio 1 moved to digital for archiving the running
orders and its legal requirement to tape shows and hold them for 28
days (in the analog days theses wer v slow low quality r-t-rs and not
kept beyond that), therafter normally a CD was burned in the studio
of every show as it went out (including the ones at Peel Acres from
Spring 99 on Thursdays), but this did not always work. Some are
missing. But, for example, almost every show from 2000 and lots/most
from 2002 onwards are there. You can confirm these are all in the bbc
catalogue, which you can search the index of online - though not
listen to - at the altered URL of:

http://catalogue. bbc.co.uk/ catalogue/ infax/

type in john peel, and you are looking for ROT ("record of
transmission" ) of John Peel radio appearances, under all / various
entries except the first which comes up, which includes other people
called john peel!

But the BBC has no immediate plans to broadcast or make these
available to the public. There is the much-trumpeted creative archive
project from 2004, which set out to do this...

see here:

http://www.bbc. co.uk/pressoffic e/pressreleases/ stories/2004/ 05_may/26/
creative_archive. shtml

...eventually putting all its holdings online, but this project
appears to have got stalled a bit in er, its other more pressing
problems! Like a new director general and new scandals, you know, the
usual. I would not hold your breath.

Other international projects for making spoken word programmes
available to students online, like the one my university is involved
in (not me personally, not really), have made significant progress,
but exclude music shows:

http://www.spokenwo rd.ac.uk/

However, until the end of the century, the other official recorders
of the Peel show and Peel Sessions were the British Library's
national sound archive. They have extensive Peel holdings, which you
can apply to listen to in person in a booth if you visit the library
at St Pancras, London. I know they taped quite a lot in the late 70s
and 80s, 2 or 3 dozen shows a year sometimes, and have archived the
peel sessions they have. Info & tips from their pop music curator
Andy Linehan (good man)here:

http://www.bl. uk/collections/ sound-archive/ tipspop.html

the fact remains that, in terms of accessible and complete
recordings, it is regular listeners like the members of this group
who are the most public documenters and sharers of the Peel legacy, a
point I have tried to make pretty clear in my book, both in order to
celebrate and pay tribute to you lot, but also implicitly point the
finger at the BBC for its corporate tardiness in this regard,

ken

--- In peel@yahoogroups. com, Riving Ton <deedeeramain@ ...> wrote:

> Hello Ken!
> Wow! I am not knowing!
> I was one of those guys who loved Peel for ages at one point then
got older and lost track! I was working overseas on oil rigs from
1985 until Peels death and in that time only caught the odd show.
> He was a formative part of my youth and upon his death I wanted to
catch up on some of the shows I missed. Listening to Peel was an
education! He really was humble and introduced you to a bunch of
music that you would never have considered normally.
> I always missed being able to tune in to his show. If I was working
on an oil rig in the desert in Yemen for example, the world service
was always crap reception on short wave (even with the flash Sony
radio and external antenna I had) and I was usually on night shift
which meant I needed to be sleeping when the man was transmitting!
> I couldn't rely on my flat mates to tape Peelie for me so had to
make do with the tapes I made (infrequently) on my days off in the
UK. Then; I stopped coming back to the UK so often and just lost
track of the music scene.
> With the advent of the digital age and digital radio I was looking
into the options of digitally listening to Peel but out in the desert
(now in Saudi) - us rig pigs weren't seeing the advantages of
internet yet (we didn't even have access to email when I left the
rigs in 2005!).
> I was tempted to write to Peel to say 'Hey! You're getting on now,
you won't be around forever - are your shows being tape recorded?
Perhaps you could answer that Ken? Did the BBC ever record his shows
or were they launched into the ether and that's that?
> I started trying to collect Peel shows using eMule but that was
taking forever! I found more shows being shared by some of the cool
websites on the 'net paying homage to Peel and that led me to install
and use the BitTorrent program to download more shit.
> I found the 'stuff' I'm uploading on a search off the 'net
at 'goonerproductions. co.uk'. £40 for 17 DVDs. I'm just sharing the
love as my contribution to 'Community Spirit' so I can't claim to be
any kind of expert!
> You might want to contact Darren at the aforementioned site to
question him. Just don't tell him we're sharing the stuff he's trying
to make money from! I presume he collected it off the 'net in the
first place so I don't worry about passing it around!
> I'd be really interested to know if Peel's shows were recorded by
the BBC. I suspect not but can you confirm that?
> Thanks on behalf of everyone and me!
> Dee Dee

Jan