Those new polls on the site...

ken garner ken_garner@...
Wed Mar 28 00:52:45 CEST 2007

ok, I understand, very common practice. Here's what Steve Barker (op.
cit.) says about New Age Steppers' Peel session on that On-U sound
site (http://www.skysaw.org/onu/artists/newagesteppers.html):

"Although I cannot personally testify to this, it is rumoured that in
1980/1981 NAS, together with producer Adrian Sherwood, took seventeen
musicians to the BBC Studios in Maida Vale to record a session for
the John Peel radio show. Given the penury in which most musicians
lived at the time, seventeen lots of Musician's Union fees would no
doubt come in handy!

"The set opens with Ari Up's off-centre vocals on the NAS version of
Junior Byles' "Fade Away", a tune which the singer had cut for
Channel One's JoJo Hookim some five years earlier but which had
already achieved the status of a reggae standard. "Crazy Dreams and
High Ideals" [Rhythm 59] is one of those songs, which counted as
favourite down at On-U and was versioned over time numerous times by
others and its author Mark Stewart.

"A version of "Animal Space" was originally released as a UK 7"
single by the Slits on the Human label and can also be found on their
album "Return Of The Giant Slits" on CBS. Bim Sherman's "Love
Forever" [Rhythm B13] is next for the Ari Up treatment with some
great spooky on-key screams in the dub towards the track's close. The
set is rounded off by a dub version of Viv Goldman's overtly
political "Private Armies". Viv was better known as a music
journalist, mainly for the New Musical Express (NME) music paper
rather than a musician."

But it might be that those track details are about their first album,
not the Peel Session rumour of 81.

And elsewhere on the same site, you find this:

"New Age Steppers - Peel sessions 1983 / session tracks Tracks
recorded for the John Peel show on BBC Radio 1 in the UK.
Included 'Not A Nobody', 'The Riddle' and 'Send My Love' [Rhythm 29]
which are available to download at www.dub.org.uk"

which is different...

can you relate any of that to what you've got there?

kg