[peel] Needletime / Nightride

Paul Bryant pbryant98@...
Sun Mar 11 01:07:46 CET 2007

--- ken garner <ken_garner@...> wrote:

> A few quick points.
>
> 1. Peel had so many sessions before 1988, and
> repeated them at least
> once, sometimes 2 or 3 times, because of needletime,
> the backdoor
> deal by which the record companies in alliance with
> the musicians'
> union restricted the amount of minutes per day each
> BBC Radio network
> could play from commercial records.

Retrospective apology and heartfelt thanks to the
Musicians' Union, then. I remember we used to curse
these old fashioned fools who were stopping us hearing
pop music on the BBC and forcing Joe Loss and his Big
Band featuring Billy Bunter, vocalist, down our
throats. But in attempting to stem the tide of
progress, they did us all a favour by inadvertently
inventing the Peel session.

Anyway, thanks for the details, Ken. I'll let you get
on with your work now!

pb

 Peel's 3-hour