[OT] Software for web radio

roger3905 roger.carruthers@...
Tue Mar 6 13:57:59 CET 2007

Hi team,
 please excuse the slightly OT nature of this post, but if you'll bear with
me, you might find some useful info here.
 I'd like to draw your attention to a couple of bits of software that I
think may be of use to some of you, particularly those of you involved in
web radio.
 The first is something of my own: Kat's Karavan is a virtual radio studio,
comprising 4 'cart' players, 4 inputs for mics, outboard etc. each with EQ,
VST fx slots and a limiter, all of which can be assigned to a stereo output
bus and/or a monitor bus, if you have a sound card with more than 2
channels.
There is also a VST slot and a limiter on the output, and the
whole shebang can be recorded to disc for podcasting etc.
 Kat's Karavan is free (as in free beer), and although it's currently only
available for Macintosh (OS X), I hope to have a Windows (XP) version in the not
too distant future. The current release (v.1.4) is a 'beta'; it's seems
stable enough so far, but I welcome any bug requests or feature reports.
 Find it at http://www.wildfrontear.co.uk/KK folder.zip

The second is a recommendation based on something I've been using at
work recently, a piece of commercial software called Dot Tunes.
I do tech support in the Media dept. at a university, and I've not long finished
putting our sound fx library (previously loaned out through the Library on about 100 CD's)
onto a server using this software, and I must say, I'm very impressed.
 It's a great way of sharing audio - in our case it's just sound effects,
but it could just as easily be radio shows - because it's very easy to set up (it
uses your iTunes library), is searchable and gives you control over who has
access to the library, either by password, or by I.P.
 We actually got a licence for free, simply because my colleague was cheeky
enough to ask, so I'm returning the favour by giving the makers a plug; I have no financial
interest in this.
I'm sure the makers don't condone any illegal activity, but for a group of consenting
adults such as us Peelers, I see great potential for such a thing.
 Anyway, check it out at http://www.dottunes.net/
Apologies again for the OT posting,
cheers
Roger