[peel] Re: not dead, am doing a book

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Sun Mar 4 23:07:09 CET 2007

Lurking in the background, reading this interesting thread, motivated me
to listen to my Peel tapes from 1977. One thing is clear, in 1977 Peel
devoted a week (and may be more) to a series of programmes with
playlists selected by listeners to represent the "best of the last ten
years of these programmes". I seem to recall these were played in the
run-up to Christmas as a alternative to the boringly predictable Festive
Fifty from 1976, but I might be wrong. Among others, I have the
selections of Barry Wright (aka Rudolf Vaselino) whose choice include
Elvis Costello, Junior Delgado, Matching Mole, Rod Stewart and Hendrix
(back to back versions of Angel), Steven Cook of Salisbury with Captain
Beefheart, Ivor Cutler, Ranking Trevor and Sex Pistols and a snippet of
the intro to the programme by Neville Thorner. I have Peel saying these
were all broadcast in one week (obviously in the second half of the year
as it includes God Save the Queen). These listeners must be have been
picked by Peel and Walters as a results of a competition,and in one
sense they come closer to capturing the essence of the programmes than
any of the Festive Fifty's - many of the tracks were not well known, but
are nevertheless deserving of replaying (for example House on the Hill
by Kevin Coyne). One track was included in two playlists - Truly by
Ranking Trevor.

If any of these budding DJs are reading this maybe they can remember
more about the eventual Festive Fifty.

I will listen to the other tapes and see if I have included the BBC News
after the credits, a sure way of identifying the events of the day and
hence the date. Probably sometime after October which was when he
started Top Gear in 1969.

John