Peel Sessions 1967-70 new batch of 202 sessions...

Guy Brown guyanthonybrown@...
Sun Jun 24 18:11:30 CEST 2007

Toby Richmond (aka Shane Scalley):
>I wonder what year the Peel show went from AM to FM (unless it
>was always FM / VHF but I think in the 60's it was AM - most of the
>pre-75 shows are quite "low-fi")? Plus, sad to see the current
>Glastonbury coverage without JP to add some generation-balance .......

Martin Wheatley:
>When Radio 1 started Top Gear which soon had Peel as sole
>presenter was on Saturday or Sunday afternoons in AM
>It was when the show moved to the late evening that it went to FM
>For some years Radio 1's mid evening show started in AM and added FM
>halfway through

>There was only one FM frequency allocated for Radio 1 and 2 and
>Radio 2 had the use of it until about 9PM

>According to Ken's book  6-10-71 was when Top Gear went to the evening
>and I think all subsequent Peel shows were after the AM/FM switchover

>An additional complication is that I don't think that FM transmissions were
>initially stereo and I don't know when that started and whether that had
>happened before Peel went to the evening.  Of course not many people
>had stereo equipment to start with anyway

My recollection of this is similar to Martin's but I seem to remember it being 10PM to midnight only after 1971. 'Radio One with Sounds of the Seventies'. The other issue was that stereo FM took a long time to roll out across the country. The shires having to put up with mono only on FM for quite a while. I lived in a tall tower block at Essex University and built a dipole antenna which could be rotated to maximize the capture from the various transmitters, so as to find the stereo one.

BUT...I did capture some 1968-69 Top Gear extracts on FM, how can this be? well BBC Radio Brighton, just starting - a local radio station - a novel concent and another fallout from the legislation whacking the pirates, appeared to have nothing to broadcast on a Sunday afternoon, so for a while they simulcast Radio 1. Based on these recent tapes I've just restored it must have also been true for my internet mate in Scotland. Some, maybe 15%, of these new 200 sessions are also seemingly from FM.

btw - I sent a batch of these new CDs to another fellow, unsolicited, because I know he has reel tapes of Peel et al from this vintage, but has never agreed to loan them to me. Well yesterday he said OK, so the guess is that about 20 hours of recordings c.1971-74 will be coming my way for a possible extraction of set 3 of these 'UK Sessions'. Trouble is he won't ship them, he wants to deliver them personally, 'cos they're so important to him. He lives in NYC, I live in Calif....sigh. Might be a wait.

GUY