[peel] Re: Peel Sessions 1967-70 new batch of 202 sessions...

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Sat Jun 23 11:47:45 CEST 2007

At 23:49 22/06/2007, you wrote:

>I wonder what year the Peel show went from AM to FM (unless it
>was always FM / VHF but I think in the 60's it was AM - most of the
>pre-75 shows are quite "low-fi")? Plus, sad to see the current
>Glastonbury coverage without JP to add some generation-balance .......
>
>Cheers,
>Toby Richmond (aka Shane Scalley)

When Radio 1 started Top Gear which soon had Peel as sole
presenter was on Saturday or Sunday afternoons in AM
It was when the show moved to the late evening that it went to FM
For some years Radio 1's mid evening show started in AM and added FM
halfway through

There was only one FM frequency allocated for Radio 1 and 2 and
Radio 2 had the use of it until about 9PM

According to Ken's book  6-10-71 was when Top Gear went to the evening
and I think all subsequent Peel shows were after the AM/FM switchover

An additional complication is that I don't think that FM transmissions were
initially stereo and I don't know when that started and whether that had
happened before Peel went to the evening.  Of course not many people
had stereo equipment to start with anyway

martinw