[peel] Maida Vale to be made into executive flats?

RobF robfleay@...
Tue Jul 3 22:34:54 CEST 2007

> Interesting how a building now considered "not suitable
> for the demands of the 21st-century digital age" has been
> perfectly able to host so many magic Peel recordings by
> electronic artists, both live and recorded.

I'm sure anyone who has ever been to Maida Vale knows what they are REALLY saying.

The place is huge and has multiple studios - from the enormous MV1 where the BBC Symphony Orchestra were rehearsing while we were recording a session in MV4 - a much smaller, cosier arrangement.

It was never built as a recording studio complex - I think it was originally an ice rink or something, and the BBC bought it and converted it to studios.

Essentially they are saying is that it's way too big and in far too much of a desirable area for it to NOT be worth selling the land.

They can sell the land for a fortune and purpose-build some new studios in a cheaper out of town location. And of course it will be utterly characterless.

It's interesting that the news comes out now - just in time for Ken to write a touching epilogue to his Peel Sessions book!

It wou