[peel] Re: [OT] [Altrok] Update #143: Support Your Local Web Radio Station!

Sean Carolan hubcity@...
Wed Jan 17 04:49:10 CET 2007

Todd,

Thanks!  You caught me at a weak Ultravox moment, though - you missed "Slow
Motion" a few weeks back, not to mention "When You Walk Through Me", "Wide
Boys" and "ROckwrok".  Thought it was time to give their second lead singer
a bit of air ;o) (Though I have to say, ROckwrok is a pain to get aired on
US radio - I had to substitute a second "bark" in the chorus lyrics to pass
content muster.  Wait'll they get a load of Dustin's Bar Mitzvah's "Get Your
Mood On"...)  I'll take that request for "Artificial Live", though.

The point of all this, though, is to (a.) show what I'm adding to the web
station's library on a given week, and (b.) subtly suggest to my station's
program and music directors that they should add more of this sort of thing
to our terrestrial station's playlist.  And so far, I'd say the station's
playing more Foxx-era Ultravox than almost any station in the US.  (Not to
mention Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip.)

And though it's by no means anywhere near as close to the depth you'd get on
an average Peel show (not to mention Marcelle's or Dandelion Radio's) my
hope is to be a conduit where some more obscure things can bubble up before
a slightly wider audience.  (Again, nowhere near as wide as the one Peel
enjoyed on Radio 1, but you do whatcha can...)

Besides, Sparks rocks.  Go to their MySpace page; they had a new album
("Hello Young Lovers") out last year, and it was a lot of fun.

-Sean