[peel] Re: Ken Garner

Phil Edwards festive50@...
Mon Feb 19 20:52:43 CET 2007

Here's an extract from a post I made a couple of years ago

".......with a combination of downloading from various tracklisting sites
(Lorcan's springs to mind) plus the Beeb's, I created a database, printed it
off and started to listen/relisten to the shows and annotate it (this
database is in the files section). Anything with a tape number against it,
then I have it. It's still nowhere near complete, but I hope to eventually
finish this mammoth task one day."

I haven't touched this for a long time mainly due to my Dandelion Radio
commitments but at last count this database stood at just under 20,000
tracks.

I'm sure there must a few people who have similar databases. It just started
out as a method of cataloguing my 500+ tapes.

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: peel@yahoogroups.com [mailto:peel@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
dunelm61
Sent: 18 February 2007 20:03
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] Re: Ken Garner

  I take all of your points, but feel there are ways and ways of doing
  things. For one thing, I don't imagine the amount of work and number of
  pages required would exceed Martin C Strong's Great Rock Discography.
  In fact, less work would probably be required, as no real research
  would be involved, only the processing of lists which already exist.

  For another thing, one needn't publish everything in one volume. For
  example, a book on Peel's Shows 1976-1980 would be fascinating enough,
  covering the transformation of the show during a particularly
  revolutionary period. Its publication would allow toes to be dipped in
  the water to assess the potential market for future volumes.

  As for the expense, I for one would be prepared to fork out plenty for
  what I would regard as a music fan's dream. And I can't imagine that
  the book would cost more than people appear willing to pay for second
  hand copies of In Session Tonight on eBay!