Peel tapes - photographer needs your help

suandpercy martynbaldock@...
Sat Feb 17 14:36:47 CET 2007

I am someone who grew up listening to John Peel.  He informed my
musical being.

Now I have grown up (and some) I am a photographer and I'm currently
making a book about fellow Peel fans.  Well, not the actual fans, but
their tapes.  The tapes that they recorded from Peel shows.  Tapes of
sessions, shows and festive fifties.

I came up with the idea after re-finding my collection of festive
fifty tapes.  It is sad but I had stashed them away as redundant
(stereo 'upgrade' left me without tape deck).  It is unlikely I will
play the tapes ever again as I have now sourced mp3 versions to fuel
my i-pod.  However, tapes hold an aesthetic appeal to me and I want
to document this form of technology before people start to dispose of
it.

Although physical cassettes are all very similar the content and
labelling are unique to each tape.

The book will be very simple - images of tapes, maybe some text about
the owner and the content of the tape.

I am writing to appeal for tapes.  For this project to work I need
lots of tapes to photograph.  I am hoping that each 'home taper' will
be prepared to lend me one of their favourite Peel tapes.  For it to
work I need to photograph each tape in an identical manner.  I will
need to borrow the physical tape to photograph in controlled
conditions in my studio.

I can assure you that I will respect the irreplaceable nature of your
tape; I will be very careful.  If you are a willing participant then
I will send you a stamped addressed, recorded delivery, waterproof
envelope, for you to send me the tape.  Once I have photographed it I
will return it in the same manner, without delay.

As well as taking the form of a book this project will be exhibited
in London in July.  Any participants will get to see their tape
featured in a variety of different mediums.  I can also assure you of
anonymity if desired.

If you are interested please email me at martynbaldock@...
and I will be really chuffed to advise you accordingly.

Best Wishes
Martyn Baldock