I LOVE THIS JOHN PEEL QUOTE (IT WAS WORTH THE 37 YEARS WAIT)

Richard Shaw-Brown rsbj66@...
Mon Dec 3 11:44:58 CET 2007

(Feb 1967) shortly after record launch, while the band was busy with interviews and other
PR, singer/songwriter Rick Brown was drafted by the US army for the Vietnam War. Brown
ended up escaping from boot camp and hiding in India for 12 years, until he was granted
amnesty in 1979. Without their lead singer and frontman, the band ended up in disarray
and broke up.

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Paul Bryant <pbryant98@...> wrote:

> Fine story, but remind me why the Misunderstood were
> never successful - sounds like they really should have
> been.
>

> --- Richard Shaw Brown <rsbj66@...> wrote:
>
> > I LOVE THIS JOHN PEEL QUOTE (IT WAS WORTH THE 37
> > YEARS WAIT)
> >
> > (In 1966) The Misunderstood played at Pandora's Box
> > on Sunset in LA,
> > about which John Peel told Index Magazine in 2003,
> > "If I had to list
> > the ten greatest performances I've seen in my life,
> > one would be The
> > Misunderstood at Pandora's Box, Hollywood, 1966. It
> > was the only time
> > I've seen an audience reduced to impotent silence".
> >
> > HOW WELL I REMEMBER

> > CHAPTER 34: Pandora's Box
> >
> > Would you believe? We start out pretending to be
> > English, and we
> > actually become a British band, in real-live London.
> > 'How in the world
> > did that happen?' you wonder. Well, it all started
> > with John Peel, at
> > Hollywood's crazy Pandora's Box rock club. A mighty
> > wild night that
> > would really change our lives.
> >
> > We're on stage. The club's lights are out. The only
> > light is the
> > flashing coming from behind our amps. We're playing
> > The Yardbird's
> > classic, 'I'm Not Talking' – in OUR style. And we're
> > just coming to our
> > long freak out solo, where we leave the stage with
> > music on auto-pilot.
> > No sh*t!
> >
> > The music suddenly jerks to a halt, and into the
> > microphone I shout,
> > 'I'M NOT TALKIN'
> >
> > Then the band comes in together
CRASH!
and again
> > jerks to a stop. I
> > finish the rap, 'THAT'S ALL I GOTTA SAY!'
> >
> > Drum roll
. Feedback: 'Bhuzzzzzz' Whoa, here we go.

'

> > Greg interrupts, '
 and become an overnight
'