Another puzzler from the data vaults...

ken garner ken_garner@...
Thu Apr 12 01:03:31 CEST 2007

Wonder if anyone can help. Just spent a day or two at BBC Written
Archives reading Peel scripts on microfilm and the blank/incomplete
dates for Peel shows are filling up nicely; mostly, as I expected,
with records-only shows or not previously documented session repeats
plus the odd forgotten exclusive concert set recording; and almost
without exception the session/dates information several of you have
given me for dates all over 1978-1992 turned out to be bang-on, and
more accurate in some circumstances than the scripts (eg. the cover
sheet for a script for date Y thinking such and such a session it had
was new, whereas you lot and an earlier script for date X prove it
was a repeat). But of course.

The temptation to blather on here about all this is great, but I'll
restrict myself to one utterly baffling discovery. I can find no
trace of this band at all on the web. Does it ring any bells with any
of you?

W 1/11/78
PERIOD (private tape session)*
3 tracks only broadcast:
Waste of Breath, It's the same thing, The Butler did it

(*means supplied by band direct or record company, and not done in
BBC studios; often a genuine original recording for the show,
sometimes not.)

It was never repeated (well, not before end March 79, which is far
into 79 as I got the other day).

I've never even heard of a band called Period. Anyone? Anyone? Help!

ken

PS one other nugget: XTC's 3rd session, despite what the session
sheet says, was actually first broadcast on Monday 20/11/78, not
Thurs 23/11, along with a repeat of Swell Maps' first. I've found a
few little things like that, hardly earth shattering, but sets the
record straight.