Long Live The Ruts...

Tom Roche troche@...
Mon Sep 18 03:32:36 CEST 2006

>I always assumed your name was pronounced something like "Rosh", but then it
>occurred to me it might have been you.
>Was I right?
>
>Alan

Yeh, that's me. I started writing John in the early 80's from the
southern USA saying nice things about his program on shortwave. Then
one day on his taped World Service show he intro'd a record and
nothing happened, there was some dead air, someone said we'll have to
do that again and Peel said "starting from where?"

So he re-intro'd the record and the show continued - it was clearly
some flub that should have been edited out. And the show still had 2
more repeat airings so I thought what the heck he's answered two of
my letters and this can't wait. So I will call Radio 1 right at
12:01AM his time just as he would have finished the domestic show,
and say overseas call and see if I can get through.

And I did, and he was gracious and said he'd look into the bad edit,
and by the way how did I pronounce my name because he wanted to be
sure he said it right on the air. So I was impressed with his concern
about that.

Roche is not a common name in the US but in my (long deceased)
grandparent's native home of Listowel Ireland there is Roche gas,
Roche toy store, Roche meat market etc. All my life I'd pronounced it
like roach, and was subjected to some amount of childhood name
calling - Florida roaches are pretty unpleasant - but it wasn't
terrible... then my wife-to-be said well it was French before it was
Irish if you go back many centuries... and thus it became '"rohsh" ..
and my kids have had an easier time I guess.

This biz about writing Peel during the SW years was covered in a
piece I wrote for a local music magazine right after Peel's funeral.
I posted it here first. I used to send people to the magazine's site
(as I dont have a webpage and it won some writing award) but it was
taken down. Would anyone with a site of their own like to host the
article and accompanying pictures for me once again?

tom r
atlanta