DJ's collection to stay put – for now

Dan Barrell dbarrell@...
Mon Oct 30 22:34:09 CET 2006

This in the Bury Free Press today:

http://www.burystedmundstoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=2053&ArticleID=1844284

DJ's collection to stay put � for now

The family of John Peel have said no decisions have yet been made over
the future of the late DJ's extensive record collection.

According to details of his will published last week, the broadcaster
left more than �1.8 million to his family in an estate which includes
around 25,000 vinyl albums and thousands of CDs.

His daughter Alexandra said: "We've not had any discussions about what
is going to happen to the collection in the long term. For now, it will
stay at home."

After the BBC stalwart's death at the age of 65, there was speculation
that the collection would go to the British Library.

But the collection has remained at his Great Finborough home with his
wife Sheila.

Last year, she told the BBC World Service: "The records here are John
and I can't imagine how we all would feel if, for whatever reason, they
were suddenly removed from us. It would be just awful. At the moment, it
makes us feel rather good that they're all here. And we play them."

But she added: "I've got to be realistic and I know that there will be
some period when we've got to say 'Come on, be sensible', because
there's no way we can play them all or appreciate them all."

The DJ's album collection has yet to be catalogued but he was famous for
his interest in unknown and unusual musical acts, including being one of
the first to recognise bands like Pink Floyd and Blur.

A spokesman for the British Library declined to comment on any possible
negotiations over the future of the collection.

The broadcaster died of a heart attack during a trip to Peru two years
ago this week.