Liverpool Daily Post and Echo /19 Oct/ Tragedy of brave musician

Tom Roche troche@...
Fri Oct 20 04:59:26 CEST 2006

Tragedy of brave musician

Oct 19 2006

by Vicky Anderson, Ormskirk Advertiser

Popular local band frontman took his life after
battling depression, inquest hears

A TALENTED young musician took his own life
during a bout of depression, an inquest was told.

Chris Ashcroft, 29, had been picked out for
success by Radio One DJ John Peel who featured
his band on his cult show after hearing a demo
tape.

Chris was frontman with Monkey Steals The Drum
who recorded sessions for the John Peel Show in
December, 1999, and October, 2000.

The band's song 'Injured Birds' was given the
honorary number 51 slot by Peel in the top 50
songs of 1999 chosen by listeners because he
liked it so much. Peel had called the band "the
next big thing to come out of Liverpool."

The four-piece, which formed in 1998, regularly
performed concerts in West Lancashire and
Liverpool, including The Cavern and The Picket,
attracting huge support. They also toured the UK.

In 2000, their first single outsold Westlife and
the Spice Girls locally, but did not chart
nationally.

But, despite his popularity and success, Chris
had battled with depression and on July 21 his
body was found by two schoolboys in woodland
behind Winifred Lane, Aughton, on the afternoon
of July 21.

Pathologist Dr Stephen Dundas said that Chris had
died almost instantly by hanging himself from a
tree.

Friends of the former Ormskirk Grammar School
pupil, from Middlewood Road, held a tribute gig
to him at the Liverpool Everyman in August. At
the inquest into his death, coroner Dr James
Adeley said: "Christian was a very well-rounded
young man. He was a musician, played drums and
guitar. He was very popular, he would go cycling
in the Alps.

"But he had started to have problems with depression."

On the day of his death, Mr Ashcroft left the
house early and his mother assumed he had taken
an early train to the Lake District to meet his
girlfriend. She said: "I had no idea he had
thoughts like this when he went to bed. He blew
me a kiss and said 'goodnight mum'."

Police called to the woods at around 4.40pm on
July 21, but Chris was pronounced dead at the
scene.

Dr Adeley said: "There were two notes found that
indicated he could no longer bear the problems he
was facing. People who are depressed still
maintain a very brave front and it comes as a
complete shock the events that have transpired. I
don't think there is anything you could have
detected or done to have prevented this."

He recorded a verdict of suicide.

In a newspaper in 2000, Chris recalled his first
contact with John Peel. "We did a demo on our
little eight-track and sent it off. Then, I just
forgot about it. The next thing I knew, the phone
went. It was him saying how much he loved the
demo. I was totally shocked to hear that
unmistakable voice."

Copyright and Trade Mark Notice
  © owned by or licensed to Trinity Mirror PLC 2006
  icseftonandwestlancs is a trade mark of Trinity Mirror PLC.