The Independent Oct 15 / Peel's last pirate tapes

Tom Roche troche@...
Sun Oct 15 17:41:45 CEST 2006

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article1873859.ece

  Peel's last pirate tapes

  Thanks to a devoted fan, the legendary DJ's
final offshore show will be heard again

  By Anthony Barnes, Arts and Media Correspondent
  Published: 15 October 2006

  As he signed off his final late-night Perfumed
Garden show, pirate DJ John Peel was convinced it
was the end of his brief, subversive radio career.

  Now, almost 40 years later, listeners will once
again experience the dying murmurs of his show
when the BBC puts his last Radio London programme
back on the airwaves later this month.

Peel was forced off air when pirate stations - at
the time the only outlet for pop music in the UK
- were outlawed in 1967, leaving him high and
dry. Luckily, within days he was rescued from
obscurity and signed as a launch presenter for
Radio 1 and became one of Britain's best-loved
and respected broadcasters.

Peel would spend two of every three weeks aboard
the Galaxy, moored off Folkestone, presenting his
midnight show. Because the boat was in
international waters, it was beyond the reach of
British broadcasting restrictions until offshore
stations too were outlawed in August 1967.

Peel's final broadcast saw him choosing some of
the most popular tracks of his five marine-based
months, including then little-known acts Pink
Floyd and Captain Beefheart. As he told
listeners: "Who can tell what's going to happen
from now on? I have no job to go to. I'm not
unduly concerned about it though, because
something good is going to happen. Good things
are happening, and a lot of people are realising
what is going on and a lot of people are coming
over to our side, so to speak - if there is a
side to be taken."

That programme has survived in a bootleg tape of
the whole five-and-a-half-hour broadcast, put
together by an anonymous fan. The recording has
now been distilled into four half-hour shows to
be broadcast by BBC6 Music from Monday 23
October, to mark the second anniversary of Peel's
death. Producer Hermeet Chadha said yesterday:
"We have cleaned up some of the sound but not too
much. Listeners will once again be able to hear
what it was like to listen to John Peel in 1967
as though he was speaking directly to you. It's
incredibly idealistic and at his heart he was a
real hippie."

Indeed, before bowing out, Peel waxes lyrical in
typical "summer of love" style: "I may just fade
away and disappear, but that's not particularly
important. The important thing is that if anybody
has gained anything from [the show] and learned
that they should try to understand the people
that live next door to them or that live down the
street and love them, then that's good."

Peel's pop picks: where are they now?

Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine

Then-frontman Syd Barrett was asked to leave in
1968 because of his erratic behaviour. Died in
July.

The Electric Prunes - Wind-Up Toys

The Californian psychedelic legends split in 1970
but reformed in 2001 to record a new album.

John's Children - Desdemona

Singer Marc Bolan left to form T-Rex. John's
Children recorded a new single this summer.

The Misunderstood - I Can Take You to the Sun

British-based guitarist Tony Hill fronts Fiction.
Singer Rick Brown now an "astral gemologist" in
Bangkok.

© 2006 Independent News and Media Limited