[peel] Peel connection, just barely

Garry Latham garry_latham@...
Sun May 21 10:54:20 CEST 2006

Wow! Does this mean we can get to discuss eurovision on here?!

Which is cool as we're very happy in our household as my girlfriend is Finnish. Although my favourite song was the Lithuanian one.

Tom Roche <troche@...> wrote:

   From  Billboard...  I like the reference to "One of the worst
 Eurovision entries of all time." Wow, how low can you go??

 tom r

 Eurovision: Belgium Doesn't Qualify, Lithuania Does

     Eurovision: Belgium Doesn't Qualify, Lithuania Does
     May 19, 2006, 11:00 AM ET
     Fred Bronson, Athens

     Ten songs from the Eurovision Song Contest semi-final have advanced to
     tomorrow's (May 20) final in Athens, but pre-contest favorite "Je
     T'Adore" by Belgium's Kate Ryan is not among the qualifiers. More
     surprising, the nursery-rhyme like "We Are the Winners" by LT United
     from Lithuania, considered by many to be one of the worst Eurovision
     entries of all time, made it through to the final.

     The semi-final of the 51st Eurovision Song Contest was broadcast live
     Thursday night to over 100 million viewers throughout Europe. After
     the 23 songs were performed, phone lines were opened for 10 minutes.
     As the show drew to its close after two and a half hours, hosts Sakis
     Rouvas and Maria Menounos opened 10 envelopes containing the names of
     the countries that had received the highest amount of votes from
     viewers.

     The first envelope opened contained a card with "Russia" written on
     it. That was not a surprise, as Dima Bilan's "Never Let You Go" is one
     of the favorites to win the competition on Saturday night.
     Other countries that qualified were Armenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
     Finland, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Ireland, Sweden,
     Turkey and Ukraine. Armenia is a first-time entrant.
     Finland has failed to qualify in previous semi-finals and has never
     placed higher than sixth in the final competition. Heavy-metal
     monster-outfitted act Lordi (described as a cross between Kiss and the
     Klingons) could give the Finnish their most successful entry in
     Eurovision history with the pyrotechnic-laden "Hard Rock Hallelujah."
     Ireland, the country that has won the most contests, is back in after
     not making it out of the semi-final last year.

     Lithuania's "We Are the Winners" was one of two songs in the
     semi-final that made direct reference to winning Eurovision. The
     other, "Congratulations" by Iceland's Silvia Night, did not qualify.
     The Icelandic song, as well as the entire presentation, was meant as a
     joke but Europe didn't get it, as indicated by the loud booing in the
     hall during the performance.

     Silvia Night, a character on a television show in Iceland, had
     offended many by singing an expletive in her song, and by cursing the
     television crew during rehearsals. When warned by the European
     Broadcasting Union that she would be disqualified if she sang the
     expletive during the live broadcast, Night replied, "I'll f***ing say
     what I f***ing want." On the night, she sang, "I'll freaking win" as
     she had intended all along, but it was too late to appeal to
     televoters. It also didn't help that during a press conference she had
     one of her bodyguards physically remove a journalist for looking her
     in the eyes. The "journalist" was an actress, but it wasn't reported
     that way on Greek television.

     Other countries that didn't qualify for the Eurovision final were
     Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Monaco, the
     Netherlands, Poland, Portugal and Slovenia. Anzej Dezan had also been
     a favorite with the Slovenian entry, "Mr. Nobody," but the absence of
     Belgium remains the biggest surprise. "Je T'Adore" was not only a fan
     favorite, but a panel of experts assembled by BBC News in the United
     Kingdom had selected the Belgian song as the winner among all 37
     entries.

     Viewers have a wide choice of music to choose from, including country
     (Germany), new age (Norway), a cappella (Latvia), retro '60s pop
     (Denmark), rap (United Kingdom), cool jazz (Spain), dance pop (Malta)
     and ballad (Ireland) as well as Finland's heavy metal entry.
     51st Eurovision Song Contest finalists:

     1. "If We All Give a Little," Six4One (Switzerland)
     2. "Loca," Arsenium featuring Natalia Gordienko & Connect-R (Moldova)
     3. "Together We Are One," Eddie Butler (Israel)
     4. "I Hear Your Heart," Cosmos (Latvia)
     5. "Alvedansen," Christine Guldbrandsen (Norway)
     6. "Bloody Mary," Las Ketchup (Spain)
     7. "I Do," Fabrizio Faniello (Malta)
     8. "No No Never," Texas Lightning (Germany)
     9. "Twist of Love," Sidsel Ben Semmane (Denmark)
     10. "Never Let You Go," Dima Bilan (Russia)
     11. "Ninanajna," Elena Risteska (Former Yugoslav Republic of
     Macedonia)
     12. "Tornero," Mihai Traistariu (Romania)
     13. "Lejla," Hari Mata Hari (Bosnia & Herzegovina)
     14. "We Are the Winners," LT United (Lithuania)
     15. "Teenage Life," Daz Sampson (United Kingdom)
     16. "Everything," Anna Vissi (Greece)
     17. "Hard Rock Hallelujah," Lordi (Finland)
     18. "Show Me Your Love," Tina Karol (Ukraine)
     19. "Il Etait Temps," Virginie Pouchain (France)
     20. "Moja Stikla," Severina (Croatia)
     21. "Every Song Is a Cry for Love," Brian Kennedy (Ireland)
     22. "Invincible," Carola (Sweden)
     23. "Superstar," Sibel Tuzun (Turkey)
     24. "Without Your Love," Andre (Armenia)

                                                    Music on hold systems                                       Music for advertising                                       Music school                                                                     Wedding music                                       Music                                       Pop music