[peel] Re: A quick question...

ROGER CARRUTHERS roger.carruthers@...
Tue May 16 10:15:05 CEST 2006

Don't suppose you fancy reseeding that torrent ? I
just had alook for it, and the only one I could find
doesn't look very healthy.
I have Urgh!.. on vinyl, and would love to see the
video,
cheers
Roger

--- thebarguest <thebarguest@...> wrote:

---------------------------------
In the early days of punk, both the Pistols and
Siouxsie wore swastika T-shirts. The Pistols did
a song called "Belsen was a Gas" - how they got away
with that God knows ...... Siouxsie did get some
criticism for it, and in a few years wore a
star-of-david T-shirt singing a song glorifying
Israel and saying in interviews that she was half
Jewish. Apology accepted, hopefully. "Joy Divison"
started as "Warsaw" (obvious Nazi connection) and
ended as "New Order" - this given a (relatively)
large Jewish population in Manchester. I love the
music of W/JD/NO and not seeing any anti-semitism
in the lyrics can only assume the names were down
to fashion/ignorance/bad advice. But then Tony
Wilson is a shrewd, well-educated man....

To all fans of 1980/81 new-wave ; if you have not
seen the film "Urgh a music war", do try to get
it - its amazingly good - loads of well-known and
obscure groups, often performing not their best-known
songs (very unusual). I got mine from a torrent site
a few months ago ; to see Magazine play "Model Worker"
is f***ing amazing ........

Yours,
Richard Rodney Grimston

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Paul Bryant
<pbryant98@...> wrote:

> Well, I said
>

> > Surely Joy Division/New Order plays with Nazi
>  > terminology to begin with. To add Oven Gloves to
>  the
>  > mix is definately on the same trajectory of
>  grotesque
>  > and in my view horribly misplaced humour.
>  >
>  > pb
>  >

> and dave said
>

> --- dave <beans_again@...> wrote:
>
> > Oh my, heavy topic for a debut post, and apologies
> > for coming in
> > rather late. But I don't see any logical
connection
> > between oven
> > gloves and nazi-era references. There seems to be
> > some confusion here
> > between ovens and the obscene technology of nazi
> > mass murder, which
> > was something quite different.
>
> so now I say
>

> Here's the connection :