The Weddos

Tom Roche troche@...
Sat Mar 4 22:42:26 CET 2006

We were fortunate enough to have The Wedding Present play Atlanta
last night, and what a corker of a show it was. The boy Gedge can
always be found in the little merchandise corner before showtime
hawking his wares, and I visited for awhile. I reminded him I'd spoke
to him at Peel's wake when he'd said he was planning a US tour that
was to not include Atlanta. I urged him to reconsider, but he said
last time, '97 or so, there'd not been much of a turnout. I insisted
this time there would be even though I had no clue.

So I he was happy to see a full house, and as the throng calling out
for all sorts of hits and obscurities, Gedge would say from the stage
" thats a good one" and "yes that's a good one too" and "oh, right,
another good one" and then arms outstretched and head bowed diva-like
he chirped sardonically "oooh such a burden to have written all these
WONDERFUL SONGS."

But he's right, each one a densely packed noisy classic. Nary a
clunker in the lot. I haven't followed the Cinerama breakup gossip
and don't care, they are great songs all, expansive and
claustrophobic at the same time. They head up to now NC,DC,NYC,
Boston, etc. Within 15 seconds of leaving the stage's side he
stealthily darted thru the oblivious crowd and was back at the table
drenched in sweat on his social & mercenary quest. Really, 15 seconds.

By the way I did ask just what did he listen for radio
enjoyment/education now that Peel was gone and he said not much and
we agreed there is and will be no substitute. 6 Music comes somewhat
close he said. He also said he'd been on a tour around Bury and rang
up Peel acres recently and was invited to pop by. Everything of
John's still pretty much untouched and days less hectic with the book
completed.

tom