happy birthday

saipanda saipanda@...
Wed Aug 30 05:41:03 CEST 2006

Unless I've got confused, seem like I'll be the first to mark the birthday of the great man
today. Maybe this is an advantage of being in Japan.

The programs marking his 40th birthday back in 1979 have been floating around, so from
them I thought I'd make up a list of the songs he said he would play for his own birthday
party on that occasion.

Happy birthday, John!

Seem like some interesting overlaps with things like the Record Box, Peelenium, Fabric
Live, Desert Island Discs, etc. Maybe someone could do a proper comparison and come up
some kind of definitive list of long-term personal faves. Teenage Kicks obviously number
one with a bullet!

Anyway, here we go. In order played (not preference, he said). Does anyone know the
Rockers All Stars track?

40. Whole Lot of Shakin' Going On – Jerry Lee Lewis
39. Holidays In The Sun – Sex Pistols
38. Unidentified – Rockers All Stars
37. Suspect Device – Stiff Little Fingers
36. Something Inside Of Me – Elmore James
35. Jimmy, Jimmy – Undertones
34. I've Been Born Again – Johnny Taylor
33. Teenage Kicks – Undertones
32. Race With The Devil – Gene Vincent
31. Staircase Mystery – Siouxsie & The Banshees
30. There's A Moon Out Tonight – Capris
29. Lost John – Lonnie Donegan
28. New Rose – Damned
27. You Better Move On – Arthur Alexander
26. Big Eyed Beans From Venus – Captain Beefheart
25. Gangsters – Specials
24. His Guiding Hand – Medicine Head
23. Anarchy In The UK – Sex Pistols
22. Honkey Tonk – Bill Doggett
21. Almost Liverpool 8 – Mike Hart
20. Band Of Gold – Freda Payne
19. Alternative Ulster – Stiff Little Fingers
18. Loving Arms – Millie Jackson
17. Memphis Tennessee – Silicon Teens
16. Like A Hurricane – Neil Young
15. Babylon's Burning – Ruts
14. Starting All Over Again – Mel & Tim
13. Peter Gunn Theme – Duane Eddie
12. Bafflin' Smoke Signals – Lee Perry
11. Shot By Both Sides – Magazine
10. Wine, Wine, Wine – Nightcaps
9. There Must Be Thousands – Quads
8. Too Much – Jimmy Reed
7. Nothing Takes The Place Of You – Mike Spenser & The Cannibals
6. Complete Control – Clash
5. Ole Man Trouble – Otis Redding
4. Have Me A Real Good Time – The Faces
3. Get Over You – Undertones