[peel] Re: Perfumed Garden last show - updated version

Susi Maxwell-Stewart susioddball2k@...
Wed Sep 28 01:29:37 CEST 2005

here is a comment i have picked up from a fellow poet

www.theblisspages.com - John Peel Dayhome : board games : computers : music : poetry : SF : wine : diabetes : travel : yoga : new age : miscellaneous : politics : about me : salsa dance : feedback : help

---------------------------------
John Peel Day

13 October 2004 was John Peel's last broadcast before his untimely death in Cusco, Peru from a heart attack.

I had a migraine from the altitude when I last went to Cusco, so can well imagine the strain on the body.

John was also a fellow sufferer of diabetes, and we both only discovered this three years ago.

His influence on me, however, goes back years, though I was never fortunate enough to meet him in person. I used to listen to the radio, sometimes amused, sometimes bemused, by some of the music he played, and by his laconic style. Along with so many others, I melded him with 'whispering' Bob Harris of The Old Grey Whistle Test, though, of course, they were totally different characters.

Some music I heard on John's show had a significant effect on my musical tastes and appreciation - Devo, Hybrid Kids - and some of my favourite artistes were discovered and/or promoted by John - such as Siouxie and the Banshees and Pink Floyd.

I recently bought his biography, 'John Peel: A Life in Music', by Michael Heatley, and will read it soon.

A year on, and we can celebrate his life with concerts on the 13th - as well as a show on Radio one, there are several hundred live concerts. As I will be in Essen at a games fair, I am unlikely to attend one, but I will have some suitable music on my mobile phone, and he will be in my thoughts.

updated Thu 13 Oct '05   give feedback...