[peel] 2-week-old story we never got to....

Neil Jenkins neil_jenkins.geo@...
Wed Sep 7 14:09:38 CEST 2005

Hearing The Kop singing YNWA has made me cry for as long as I can remember, especially when standing on The Kop with my grandad when I was a kid.  I guess it's a combination of pride of your home city and passion for your football team.  This lessened as I got older until the Hillsborough tragedy, then I started bursting into floods of tears again whenever hearing YNWA.  And last November, in the cathedral at John's funeral, when they played The Kop from his Fabric CD, then I saw his coffin being carried past me, and then The Kop segued into Teenage Kicks, I was in such a state that they practically had to carry me out of the place!

And I wasn't the only one, of course!

simon smith <moomin@...> wrote:
I've just been musing on the fact that I now find the song 'You'll never
walk alone' makes me feel tearful, not because of its connection with
Liverpool Football Club, but because of its association with John Peel
loving Liverpool Football Club. Emotion by proxy, I suppose you could
call it.

--
Simon

Best regards,