[peel] Re: Friday Rock Show v Festive Fifty

Garry Latham garry_latham@...
Sun Oct 23 20:14:14 CEST 2005

A few years ago there was a Godspeed You Black Emperor
session track that was around half an hour long, if my
memory serves me right.

--- thebarguest <thebarguest@...> wrote:

---------------------------------
"O Superman" from 1981/2 is over 8 mins long.
By the American female singer Laurie Anderson.
Surprisingly for such an avant-garde, minimalist
song, it got to number 2 in the main UK chart as
well as the FF.

Teddy Lester

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "dunelm61" <dunelm@l...>
wrote:

> I can't remember what the chart was called, Jim, but
you're right
> about it being lengthy. If memory serves, only the
top ten were
ever
> played, and they took up practically a whole
two-hour programme.
Other
> tracks making a regular appearance were Shine On You
Crazy Diamond
and
> Rush's 2112, both of which are essentially the whole
side of an LP!

> I remember Peel being somewhat concerned when Wire
recorded a
session
> track of similar length in the late seventies.
>
> Tracks appearing in the Festive Fifty seemed to be
getting longer
and
> longer, to the point that Peel was actually fading
them out in
order
> to move things along. Does anyone know what was the
longest track
> make it into the Festive Fifty?

                                                Music
on hold systems