[peel] Re: Friday Rock Show v Festive Fifty

Paul Bryant pbryant98@...
Sun Oct 23 16:31:21 CEST 2005

--- thebarguest <thebarguest@...> wrote:

> "O Superman" from 1981/2 is over 8 mins long.
> By the American female singer Laurie Anderson.
> Surprisingly for such an avant-garde, minimalist
> song, it got to number 2 in the main UK chart as
> well as the FF.
>
> Teddy Lester

I was listening to it the other week with a pal who
didn't know it. We were astounded to think that it was
nearly a Number One. Still sounds weird after all
these years. Also, check out the following lyrics

Well, you don't know me,
but I know you.
And I've got a message to give to you.
Here come the planes.
So you better get ready. Ready to go. You can come
as you are, but pay as you go. Pay as you go.

And I said: OK. Who is this really? And the voice
said:
This is the hand, the hand that takes. This is the
hand, the hand that takes.
This is the hand, the hand that takes.
Here come the planes.
They're American planes. Made in America.
Smoking or non-smoking?
And the voice said: Neither snow nor rain nor gloom
of night shall stay these couriers from the swift
completion of their appointed rounds.

'Cause when love is gone, there's always justice.
And when justice is gone, there's always force.

- sounds like an eerie premonition of 9/ll...

pb