[peel] Tommy Vance (off topic?)

Jim Kerslake jimkerslake@...
Sat Oct 22 23:43:37 CEST 2005

I remember the time when Peel lost one of his four nightly shows (I
think it was Thursdays) -
in favour of a new show presented by Tommy Vance ("into the music") -
and Peel did refer to that show bitterly as "dreadful rubbish".

I think he was probably right -
it was supposed to reflect the mellower side of rock music
(as the old Friday Night Rock Show was becoming ever more dominated by
Death Metal thrash and grunting).

But I do have very fond memories of TV's Friday Night Rock Show in the
early '80s.

Can anyone remind me - Tommy Vance used to do an annual Rock chart voted
by the listeners as well -
I can't remember what it was called..??
It was a bit predictable, and *very* lengthy, since Stairway to Heaven
always came out as No.1, with Supper's Ready at No.2... but it was
important stuff to a 16-year-old  :-)

-- jim