Tommy Vance (off topic?)

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Sat Oct 22 13:26:58 CEST 2005

Are these manifestations created by the BBC/media or
the "general public" ? The vast majority of the population
don't follow the alternative music scene and don't
listen to Radio 4. Personally, I prefer Peel as a "cult"
figure .........
Tommy Vance, Alan Freeman, John Peel - will we ever see
(hear) their likes again ? Nostalgia is great.

And perhaps the current manifestations of the public's continuing
high regard for Peel and his legacy

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "dunelm61" <dunelm@l...> wrote:

> The lives and careers of John Peel and Tommy Vance ran parallel for
> almost half a century. From beginning their broadcasting careers in
> America, working on pirate radio, joining the BBC . . . through to
> embarrassing TV voice-overs and even meeting the Grim Reaper within
> months of each other.
>
> However, given the current media blitz (the book, the magazine and
> newspaper articles, TV and radio programmes, you name it)
> surrounding Peel, it's striking just how differently they are
> regarded by music fans and by the public in general.
>
> For me, listening to NWOBHM bands on the Friday Rock Show in the
> late seventies was something of a guilty pleasure after Peel's
> Monday to Thursday shows. I suspect that this is true of several
> members of this group, although perhaps not many of you will admit
> it publicly!
>
> The last occasion on which I heard Tommy Vance was when he was
> interviewed on Radio 5 Live on the day of Peel's death almost a
year
> ago. Vance declared his opinion of Peel to be at variance with the
> warm tributes that had been paid so far. In essence, he accused
Peel
> of being a wily opportunist who would jump on any bandwagon seen to
> be gaining momentum. It sad that such inappropriate and distasteful
> bitching about John Peel should mark what may well have been
Tommy's