[peel] 60s survivors

festive50@... festive50@...
Wed Oct 19 02:08:15 CEST 2005

Thanks for that Susi.
I based my post on early Atlantic sampler album, which I was convinced I
bought in '69. I know this album contained America by the Nice, an early
Yes track and Motel Blues by Loudon Wainwright lll, which was a truly
poingnant track.
The anorak in me, then had a search through my vinyl collection, which I
haven't even looked at for nearly 10 years. I couldn't find the album in
question but I did find some obscure vinyl I'd almost forgotten about.
Namely:-
The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band (Volume ll)- My very 1st Peel
inspired album along with Beefheart's "Strictly Persomnal" - The 2 tracks
I rememember from this "Hippy Album" were "Suppose they gave a war and
nobody came" and "The Smell of Incence" - This was the ultimate track to
"drop acid" or at the very least to get stoned to.
The other gem was "Hapshash and the Coloured Coat featuring the Human Host
and the Heavy Metal Kids" - this was on red vinyl, pretty "way out" for
1969.
Now I must drag out my old "Thorens" and give these a spin and you never
know, may they appear on a certain Internet radio station.
See what you've done Susi, you've just got me to have a "senior moment"
and start rambling again.
Phil