[peel] 60s survivors

Neil Jenkins neil_jenkins.geo@...
Tue Oct 18 14:13:37 CEST 2005

I seem to remember him playing The Seeds a time or two back then, and a few others he used to "hang around" with during his time in the States.

It's interesting that around the time punk exloded in the UK (and I started listening to his shows in 1977) he would keep a link with the preceding US music, and we all know what effect the first Ramones LP had on him.  However, in the early 90's when there was a resurgence of interest in punk he'd play UK punk stuff from '76-'78 but (as I recall) downplay any earlier US influence.  For example, I remember him playing "Smokescreen" by The Desperate Bicycles, including the "It was easy and it was cheap, go and do it" message, and suggesting that that was the catalyst.  I sometimes got the impression he wondered about the difference between being influenced as a listener and being influenced as someone with a guitar in their hands.

Either way, it's all crackin' stuff!!  :-)

festive50@... wrote:
Loudon Wainright III
Phil

> The Misunderstood (now and again)
>
> markbursa@... wrote:
>>>The question os - after the onset of punk in 1976 were
> there any artists from the 60s which Peel still
> regularly played? We could think of two, and by
> regularly I mean every 6 months or so - Beefheart and
> John Fahey. Any others?<<
>

> Ivor Cutler
> Vivian Stanshall
> Peter Hammill
> Robert Wyatt

> Yahoo! Messenger  NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with
> voicemail

Best regards,
Neil
www.neiljenkins.org