[peel] Peel on One World

Eddie Duffy eddie.duffy@...
Thu Oct 13 15:36:11 CEST 2005

Susi Maxwell-Stewart wrote:

> hi i was trying to mini disk it but the quality is not good enough how
> can i record it off the computer as there is so much material i cant
> possibly listen to it all at once thanks from susi (past lugite)
>
> *//*

Hi Susi,

For recording streaming audio (and video) I usually use a application
called Net Transport. It's reasonably easy to use: just paste in the URL
of the file you want to capture (.ra, .wmv, etc.) and away it goes. I
can be tricky to find the exact URL you want in the case of sites that
wrap everything up in their own player (like the BBC, unfortunately),
but that can be worked around. Try downloading Net Transport from
http://www.xi-soft.com/default.htm and see how you get on. For example,
paste in this URL for the One World programme:
rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/oneworld_mon.ra (but do it before Monday
or it'll be replaced by next week's programme).

With audio, another option is to use an application that simply records
everything that comes into your PC soundcard. I haven't used that option
for a while, but there's plenty of software out there that can do that.
With this option you have to be careful nothing interrupts the
broadcast, and you don't get any warning sounds on your PC like for
incoming mail etc., and it's crucial that you have enough bandwidth to
keep up with the stream. You pretty mch have to leave your PC sat there
for the full duration of the programme, dedicated to nothing but recording.

Regarding your other question about torrenting, have a look at the FAQ
here: http://btfaq.com/ . Then download and install Azureus or ABC and
have a go with them.

If this is all a bit too techie for you, don't worry. I'm going to start
a DVD tree, distributing my Peel collection throughout the group, via
old-fashioned snail-mail, very soon. I'm about ready to go, but first I
want to grab as many of the tribute programs that are being broadcast
over the next week or two as I can. It would be handy if you're able to
copy DVDs, to keep the chain going, but that's the only thing you'll
need to do.

Hope this helps,

Eddie.