[peel] Re: John's Record Box

Paul Bryant pbryant98@...
Tue Nov 1 17:44:43 CET 2005

<20051031231007.10617.qmail@...>,
> Paul
> Bryant <pbryant98@...> writes
> >There's also "stuff that sounds really weird and
> unlike anything I've
> >heard before, that I might get to like if I hear it
> a few times but
> >when I do hear it a few more times I don't actually
> like it" which is
> >most jazz for me.
>
> That's all modern jazz to me! I bought records by
> Anthony Braxton and
> Sun Ra on the basis of clips that sounded
> interesting, but in the end I
> thought they were utterly empty of anything except
> technical skill, like
> all jazz he said provocatively.

Yes, when I said "most" I was being kind. Since I
really love Beefheart playing his crazy sax (Hair Pie,
Japan in a Dishpan etc) I thought I'd take to modern
jazz like a bat to a batcave. Not so. I tried Miles
Davis, Sonny Rollins, Coltrane, Sun Ra, Pharoah
Saunders etc etc and it's all a big squawkfest. I do
love Ben Webster from the 1940s, but that's just high
class schmaltz like Burt Bacharach. There's only one
jazzman I'm a fan of, that's Johnny Dodds, a clarinet
player from the 20s. He was great. But I'm wading
through the Ken Burns story of jazz, so may make
further discoveries. The personalities and the social
milieu make it all fascinating. Pity the music's so
skronky.

pb