[peel] The Automatics

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Fri Mar 25 11:51:03 CET 2005

The Automatics broke up after the release of just one single. To quote
their own 'modest' view of the world:

"Like most punk groups we didn't last long. We played too fast, stayed
up too late, and burned out quick We came up through a time when you
were more likely to get beaten up than paid every time you played. We
never played more than a half hour (even when we were headlining at the
Marquee as we did every Thursday night, or playing the Reading Festival)
and nobody ever complained!

This record was many months in the making and when Island called me up
to the office to explain why the entertainment expenses were twice the
recording expenses, I looked them right in the eye and told them that it
took a lot of very expensive drugs to make the kind of music we were
making. The single was released and went straight to #1 in the
Alternative charts (unseating the Pistols) , but Island canned the
recording and gave our studio time, producer, and equipment to bunch of
kids from Ireland who didn't drink, smoke, or misbehave.....called U2."

.... and so maybe that's why Peel would never give U2 airtime