The Unofficial National Peel Archive

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Fri Mar 25 10:04:25 CET 2005

Sitting here on a sunny Good Friday starting to rip my collection of
tapes from various Peel shows, intending to add them to the growing
unofficial Peel archive.  Current one is from 1977 as part of the Peel
shows where all the music was chosen by listeners (with often their own
notes read out by Peel).  This particular show was programmed by Dave
McClennan of Glasgow (are you out there Dave?) and featured Marley, Thin
Lizzy (described by Peel as sublime), Be-bop Deluxe, Faces, Dylan,
Jefferson Airplane ( Somebody to Love, the original of which was
recorded in LA with Peel in the studio!), Neil Young, Joni Mitchell,
Pink Floyd (from Wish You Were Here, described by Peel as wonderful,
maybe an eye-opener to the taste revisionists out there).

There are many more shows from different eras, most with the Peel links
intact (as many are now finding, the music is replaceable, but the links
are the special bit).

On a nerdy practical note, I am recording these using Total Recorder in
MP3 (Blade) 160kbps, 32kHz Stereo format.  Are there any better
suggestions, given that some of the shows are from late night wonderful
Radio 1 247 AM and not always of great quality? Currently a C90 side
saves as about 55MB.

First tape is now finished. I'm on to 1980 with Ry Cooder, Twinkle
Brothers, Scritti Politi, Automatics (the fine Tanks Over Poland), Mikey
Dread, Reginald Bosenquet, UK Subs, Stupid Babies (Babysitters - anyone
remember that), Elvis Costello and Captain Sinbad and Sugar Minott,
Barcelona Choir (Death of a Novice).

John