[peel] Peel Tapes

festive50@... festive50@...
Sat Mar 12 21:22:38 CET 2005

These 2 tapes are an original concept.
i.e.
Tapes of "Peel" shows, where most of the music has been edited out.
What we're left with is Peel the comedian (his timing is perfection
itself)and raconteur (never lost for words). If he had given up DJ'ing, he
could have made a fortune on the "after dinner speaking" circuit. However,
their loss was our gain.
e.g.
To expand on Robs reference
He actually said "2 of the Goodies tried to pick a fight with him". This
because he'd given an unfavourable of review of "The Goodies' Funky
Gibbon, in a music paper. This fracas took place in the bar at the old
Marquee Club and "he was rescued by Robert Plant, who interposed his body
between me and them".

The other amusing anecdote was about a woman who produced her breast for
him to autograph and the quandry he was in as usually when you're
autographing something in space, you  put something under it for support
and he thought should he put his hand under it.
I remember at his funeral, in one of the eulogies (I think it was his
brother Alan), he mentions Peel's love of the English Language. This was
often in evidence when a "colege student" e-mailed/wrote in and he'd say
"I'll think you'll find there's 2 "l"'s in college".
Phil