Belfast Paper

Tom Roche troche@...
Sat Mar 5 22:22:38 CET 2005

Belfast Telegraph Home > News > Northwest Edition

Teenage Kicks: Mickey's true confessions
I haven't copy of Teenage Kicks, says Undertone

By Paddy McGuffin

  The bass player with punk heroes The Undertones
has admitted he does not own a single copy of the
record that shot the legendary Londonderry band
to fame.

Teenage Kicks was hailed by the late Radio 1 disc
jockey and star-maker John Peel as the greatest
single ever made, but bassist Mickey Bradley has
revealed that his own collection does not include
a copy.

His admission came as Sanctuary Records revealed
that it is to re-press 1,000 copies of the
Teenage Kicks EP on 7-inch vinyl.

The re-release of the EP is timed to coincide
with Sanctuary's launch of a new double CD, also
entitled Teenage Kicks.

A perennial favourite, especially in the band's
home town, Teenage Kicks catapulted The
Undertones onto the world stage with more than a
helping hand from John Peel.

  The enduring popularity of the track saw it
performed as an encore by R.E.M. when the US
supergroup played at the Odyssey in Belfast last
month.

The EP was originally released on the independent
Good Vibrations label with a wrap-around
cardboard sleeve, and Mickey would be keen for
the new release to follow the same format.

"I only just found out about it myself," he said.

  "I don't know what the packaging will be like,
but I would like to see it packaged like the
original with the A4 sheet.

  "I'm happy about the re-release because I might
be able to get my hands on a copy, because I
don't have one."

Asked whether he felt there had been a renewed
interest in the band of late, he reflected: "I'm
not sure whether I would say there's been a
resurgence, but I have to say that after the
death of John Peel people seem to be playing it
more often, which is very sad."

He added: "A couple of people have told me that
R.E.M. played it as an encore, but I'm not sure
if Michael Stipe knew the words - I think the
audience might have had to help him out.

  "The record company missed a trick there - there
were 10,000 people at that gig . . . they should
have been selling copies outside."

The four-track EP features four classic
Undertones tracks - Teenage Kicks, Smarter Than
U, True Confessions and Emergency Cases.
   Back  | Return to top  | Printable Story

SiteSearch

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northwest_edition/story.jsp?story=617039

Terms & conditions |  Privacy policy |  Advertise
online |  Advertise in print |  Contact us |
© 2005 Independent News and Media (NI)
a division of Independent News & media (UK) Ltd