[peel] Digest Number 1029

Marcelle van Hoof mar.celle@...
Thu Jun 23 14:23:04 CEST 2005

Message: 6
   Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:58:52 +0000
   From: "colin bray" <colinbray@...>
Subject: RE: Re: we miss john peel - mtv2 europe

Along the lines of having time to listen to the old shows...

Something that has bothered me over the years of taping Peel (about 750
shows) is that this is somehow against the spirit of the man himself.
Every
year that goes by since a show was taped means that we are listening to
older and older stuff when Peel himself would have largely consigned
that to
history and be listening to the latest record by the latest fresh young
things.

This is exactly what I was thinking the last couple of months. I also
have lots of old Peel tapes/ reel to reels (1979-2004) and people
wanting copies but I just can't get round to doing that as I prefer to
listen to new music.
In general my reaction to Peel's passing is a bit of the opposite to
what some people here seem to do. Instead of digging up the old tapes
(which I felt too sad for anyway in the beginning, crying all the time
when hearing his voice) I've started listening to (even more) new music
every week, in an almost addictive way.... I buy loads of records (and
also get them send for Another Nice Mess). My instinctive feeling kind
of was / is that ''now John can't listen to all this new music for us
anymore we have to do it ourselves''. And also I find it more
challenging to listen to new stuff. And that's what I do: listening to
new music in record shops, clubs....I get every week more reactions (and
music) from all over the world (esp. UK and USA but also Germany) from
music fans liking Another Nice Mess, also from artists themselves. And
that makes me feel very grateful, keeping the Peel spirit alive in my
small way. Hope I don't sound too sentimental.....

love
Ms. Marcelle van Hoof

(Jan is a male name in Holland so I didn't understand the confusion in
the 1st place....)

PS Jon E Cash sent me ELEVEN 12-inches to play last week.....
'Unfortunately' his package didn't contain that 'Kamikaze John Peel VIP'
tune Peel himself played prior to his passing....does anyone know
whether this is released on vinyl??

PS But I listened to that Peel 1978 clip from the Tapes site...his voice
sounded so 'quiet' those days...or not?