[peel] we miss john peel - mtv2 europe

Jan Buxton janb@...
Tue Jun 21 19:47:12 CEST 2005

colin bray wrote:
> I have always felt that dedicated Peel listeners were invariably 'sound' as
> people.
>
> I think they are/were the nicest people out there.

I quite agree...

> Some people may dislike Peel devotees in the same way they disliked Peel -
> mistaking eclecticism for snobbery.

...what I was getting at was not that or a tendency for eclecticism, in
fact the opposite - a lot of 'Peel devotees' can have rather closed
minds. Its not any more eclectic to say "it's popular, it's rubbish",
than it is to say "it's obscure, it's rubbish". Very few Peel devotees
actually practice eclecticism in my experience. And nice and sound as
they are, its annoying when they something like "Love Will... is JDs
worst record", when even if you don't see it as the classic that it is,
it clearly can't be the worst thing they ever did.

--
Jan
http://spaces.msn.com/members/janb1982/