Peeling Back The Years

dunelm61 dunelm@...
Sun Jun 12 22:48:31 CEST 2005

Here is the text of an email I have just sent to the BBC. If any of
you would like to back me up, and add a bit of weight to my
suggestions, please feel free to do so! The address I have used is
playsitagain.6music@.... Thanks.

Hello. I'm writing with a suggestion for the Plays It Again slot
which I hope you will consider.

In 1987, Radio One broadcast a series of six shows called Peeling
Back The Years, in which John Peel discussed his life, career in
broadcasting and music generally with his friend and colleague John
Walters. I assume that the recordings still exist in the BBC
archives, because clips derived from the series were used in various
tributes broadcast by the BBC last year.

I appreciate that Plays It Again usually features a particular
musician or band, rather than a DJ. However, John Peel was no
ordinary DJ, and any trawl through the various web sites will show
how much he is missed, and how much interest in him is out there.
And Peeling Back The Years was a particularly fascinating series,
covering as it did some forty years of popular music.

As a further suggestion, John Peel's autobiography Jesus Wasn't Made
of Fish is published later in the year, and a rebroadcast of Peeling
Back The Years would tie in nicely.

I hope my suggestions merit serious consideration - many of us would
love to hear this series again.