[peel] Re: More Peel Clips

simon smith moomin@...
Thu Jun 2 17:33:34 CEST 2005

In message <001801c56785$a44bf5c0$91bf5651@markmokt3irs7w>, Mark Webb
<aouv78@...> writes
>John 'Drumbo' French dedicated last saturday's Magic Band show in
>Liverpool to Peel, saying they never would have made it in UK without
>him, or something along those lines, I was a bit drunk.

It's true! Peel was the only reason British people had heard of
Beefheart and the Magic Band in 1967. He played 'Safe as Milk' to death
(so I'm told) and, like various other foreign groups coming to the UK,
they were amazed to find large, knowledgeable crowds coming to their
gigs.
I believe he did a programme on which every other song was from TMR.
The fact that Beefheart has a larger audience in Britain than the US is
*entirely* down to him.
He helped them out in lots of other ways too.

--
simon smith