From a Website in Ghana

Tom Roche troche@...
Fri Jul 22 07:39:01 CEST 2005

Ghanaweb.com, Thu, 21 Jul 2005 1:59 PM PDT

A taste of the hiplife

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=86355

  The BBC is presenting a series of radio shows
from Ghana, where a fusion of hip-hop and West
African highlife music is all the rage. Andrew
Pettie reports from Accra

  Ras Kwame, one of the three Radio 1 DJs now
filling the slots vacated by John Peel, is at a
dawn assembly, addressing more than 1,500
giggling Ghanaian schoolchildren. The last time
he sat in the chapel of Achimota Secondary, he
was a pupil at the school. Now Kwame has returned
to Ghana to present a series of radio programmes
that are being simultaneously broadcast from the
capital, Accra, to Ghana and the UK.

  "It's the kind of thing I visualised doing when
I was growing up," he says. "But to be here
actually doing it, playing these great Ghanaian
records back to people in the UK, seeing my old
teachers, speaking in front of my old school
where I can still point to the seat I used to sit
in - it's pretty surreal. Especially as when I
first started DJing in Ghana, nobody thought I
was any good."

  Kwame is hosting a series of three radio shows
alongside emerging UK rapper Sway DaSafo, who
also has Ghanaian roots. It is often presumed
that black British music is predominantly derived
from and influenced by the Caribbean, but a
surprising number of UK artists - including
Dizzee Rascal, Ty, MC Skibadee, and Lethal B -
are actually of West African descent.

  Moving back and forth between the two continents
certainly had a profound effect on Kwame. "Before
my family left the UK to go back to Africa, I
remember sitting in my pyjamas watching Slade on
Top of the Pops. So Ghana, musically speaking,
was a bit of a shock."

  His nightly programmes certainly have a
typically laid-back, West African feel. A
makeshift studio has been hastily assembled in a
back office at Accra's Joy FM; the satellite dish
has to be hauled into position on the roof; the
guests arrive late (or not at all), with Kwame
cheerfully explaining to his British listeners
that it's impossible to be late in Accra - you're
just "running on Ghana time".

  The music flips between the traditional African
sounds of artists such as Fela Kuti and
contemporary UK grime and garage tracks. The
Ghanaian studio guests nod their heads and holler
approval and a listener from the UK texts in
enthusiastically, "I'm not bothered about niche
markets or genres. It's just great to hear this
show segueing between two equally passionate
kinds of music."

  In this spirit of Anglo-Ghanaian collaboration,
the boisterous studio guests are all MCs and
producers working at the vanguard of "hiplife" -
an exhilarating combination of the traditional
form of Ghanaian music known as highlife and the
harder rhythms of US and UK hip-hop. Highlife -
which emerged in the 1920s from a number of
native musical styles - reached its popular
zenith in the 1950s and '60s, when it became
synonymous with Ghana's thrust for independence.

  Since the mid-1990s, however, highlife has been
revamped and reinterpreted by a new generation of
Ghanaian rappers. And, although hiplife is
indebted to mainstream hip-hop, there are subtle
differences. As hiplife MC Tic Tac points out,
instead of pared-down, electronic beats, hiplife
borrows from "the rich rhythms of African music,
fusing them with our own lyrics to let people
around the world know what we're about.

  "The performers are different, too. In America
you've got a lot of laid-back rappers. The
artists over here are more energetic. People want
to see you sweat."

  These distinctions, both musical and
temperamental, were made abundantly clear to Sway
when he performed at an open-air festival held in
the centre of Accra. "It was completely insane.
There were 4,000 people in the crowd in front of
me - like a black Glastonbury. And, to begin
with, the audience wasn't really sure what I was
doing. I came on with a Union Jack bandana around
my face; I think they thought I was a bank
robber. Then during my set I started throwing out
some CDs, but this nearly provoked a riot. The
security guards were fending off kids with cattle
prods."

  Sway, who spends a frenetic afternoon recording
with Tic Tac, talks enthusiastically about his
West African connections. "It's now that we're
really starting to take from each other," he
says. "If you look at the UK hip-hop scene, and
the Ghanaian hiplife scene, you can find artists
like me somewhere in between. And that's a pretty
cool place to be."

  So has the BBC's cultural exchange been a
success? Kwame's British audience certainly
thinks so; he receives a deluge of appreciative
messages from Ghanaians dotted around the UK:
"Big shout out to you all from a Ghanaian brother
in Leicester - I'm ex-Achimota too!"

  And for Kwame, Radio 1's West African experience
has been like a homecoming. "When I'm in the UK,
I feel 100 per cent British. In Ghana I feel 100
per cent Ghanaian. But that must be a good thing,
I guess - it makes me 200 per cent Ras Kwame!"

  OneMusic with Ras Kwame is on Radio 1 on
Wednesdays at 9pm. He is part of a series of
programmes being broadcast from Africa on BBC
1Xtra until Saturday. All Rights Reserved,
1994-2005, © Copyright GhanaHomePage