Laura

Tom Roche troche@...
Mon Jul 4 17:47:44 CEST 2005

Laura Cantrell played here Friday, I got to talk with her briefly
after her wonderful set.

She dedicated a song to John, and her new CD out this week is
dedicated to John. She says that she recently recorded another
session set up by Louise and Hermeet, but it has not aired yet. Nor
does she know which of the 3 non-Peel Peel slots it will go.

It turn out that she and here husband Jeremy and also journeyed from
the US for his funeral, and was at the wake too, but I didn't see her
either place... but after all that whole day was a bit of a blur. She
said she did a set in London recently and Danda and Flossie came.
Sheila stayed behind in Stowmarket due to pressures of working on the
book.

Listening to her set was just like listening to her WFMU program in a
way (5PM Saturdays UK time) as she would tell interesting background
stories before many songs.

Her set in Washington got a kinda hissy review in the Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/29/AR2005062902565_pf.html
This lowered my expectations of the coming show and it shouldn't
have, she was just perfect.

I had an extra copy of the East Anglican Daily Times funeral coverage
I gave them, they were thrilled; turns out they'd gone to like 10
shops trying to find a copy. A great couple, they are, little family
business, he mans the CD table, she sings to the OK turnout in the
oversized coffeehouse/bar.

Also gave them the Radio Mafia 16x60 collection that I-forget-who put
together for us, so thanks a 2nd time for that from Laura.

tom