[peel] Re: From something called contactmusic.com

Jan Buxton janb@...
Mon Jul 4 12:21:31 CEST 2005

Neil Jenkins wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> Erm, ... remember this? ...
>
> *> thebarguest wrote:
>  > > joy division - love will - their worst song
>  >
>  > Its this sort of plainly ridiculous statement that*
> *> makes people** dislike music snobs/peel listeners.
>  >
>  > --
>  > Jan
>  > **http://spaces.msn.com/members/janb1982/*
> Well, in response to your comment: ...
>
> *> Jan Buxton <janb@...> wrote:*
> *> Well Your Code Name Is: Milo played and they had a*
> *> Peel session,** despite being awful.*
>
> ... I'd like to say ... [Ahem ahem ... cough ... clears throat]
>
> Really, Jan.  It's this sort of plainly ridiculous statement that makes
> people dislike music snobs/peel listeners!

Nice. Seriously though, are there a legion of Your Code Name Is: Milo
fans here? Surely saying a bunch of talentless chancers are awful is far
less controversial than saying Love Will... is JDs worst track.

> And what's this? ...
>
> *> MIA has had lots of critical praise but not record*
> *> sales so would seem _stuck at a Peel level_.
> *
> You feather-ruffler, you!!!  :-p

Well that isn't really controversial. Zane Lowe often says something
along the lines of "our baby has gone" when they've been playing a track
that crosses over to daytime, and they move on and play the next single
or whatever. Similarly when bands outgrew Peel, he'd let them go. Of
course some however great they are/however good the reviews/however
devoted the fans don't progress beyond Peel, at least in the long term -
I speak as a massive Hefner fan. MIA could be played on Peel based on
record sales.