[peel] Festive 50 'Boxed Sets' on ebay

McKINNON Dougal d.mckinnon@...
Mon Feb 28 12:21:45 CET 2005

> I've said this elsewhere, including emails to Louise, but I'm really
not
> sure about Ras's show at all and not because he doesn't play enough
>  guitar stuff. My problem is that he only plays Urban music. I'm not
really
> sure what defines Urban music but I do know it's just too narrow for
me.

He also makes a big thing that he plays almost exclusively "UK music".
I'm sure I'm not the only one who isn't really bothered where something
originates from, so long as it is good.  All he's been proving so far is
that we can make music just as badly as anywhere else in the world.

> Ras seem ok. He certainly has a good radio manner but his knowledge of
his field
> is just not deep enough for me. It's certainly not wide enough.

> This has turned into a bit of a rant, but I'm really not happy with
the musical tunnel Ras
> is going down.

After his first show I posted on this list saying that he seemed
pleasant enough and that the music was bearable.  I now realise that I
was being far too concilliatory.

Christ, his second show was an absolute nightmare.  The first 15-20
minutes were given over to him playing jingles and records about
himself, then  a host of records that would have been rejected by Craig
David as being too dull.

His third show featured Benjamin Zepahania and the
interview/contributions from BZ at least cut down on the air time for
Ras and his ego.  I did worry slightly though about the audience that
his shows are aiming for when he invited questions/comments for BZ and
the ones he chose to read out were along the lines of "What car do you
drive?" and "Can you tell Benjamin that we think he's well fit?".

The Rob shows are pretty good.  The Huw shows I've only heard bits of.
I think he could still do with broadening his output from the "if it's
Welsh, it's in" philosophy, but I think they are improving.

dougal mckinnon
senior applications developer
information services
Tel: 01782 294832
E-mail: d.mckinnon@...

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.

distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and
any attachment from your computer.