Peel's Finnish 'Radio Mafia' shows

Tom Roche troche@...
Sun Feb 27 18:45:07 CET 2005

At 3:22 PM +0000 2/27/05, peel@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>I was close then !
>Thanks
>Alan
>
>   ----- Original Message -----
>   From: Robert Ward
>   To: peel@yahoogroups.com
>   Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 4:24 PM
>   Subject: Re: [peel] Peel's Finnish 'Radio Mafia' shows
>
>   that'll be Wawali Bonane

And good luck finding any CD's by him. Amazon only lists one, from
'94 on Sonodisc. I have one, called W.B.B.F. on the Twiga label from
Vancouver, It had no barcode and no number and when I play it in
iTunes, it finds no web data on it. It does have Peel's favourite,
"Ba Yaya."  Found it used for $2.95 at Amoeba in LA, an astonishing
California record store/chain if you find yourself Out West.

The Sonodisc reference reminds me of a hilarious story Peel told on
air once, actually bringing in Kershaw on-mike to hear Peel's story
of being at some French or Euro music confab where he tracked down
the Sonodisc representative. Does anyone remember hearing this?

He met with this Sonodisc guy who Peel described as looking like a
French Alexi Sayle in a too-small suit. Tried to tell him how he was
playing all this Sonodisc soukous on the BBC he had purchased with
his own money -- all the while the rep was interrupting to take phone
calls in mumbling French. Asked nicely if he could get promo service
and the rep "could. not. have. cared. less.," Peel exclaimed.

Kershaw was laughing uncontrollably....

tom