Uncut CD

Andrew Dean koogy@...
Thu Dec 1 18:50:12 CET 2005

> here's a thing: Biggie Tembo, the only surviving Bhundu Boy, seems to
> be gigging again, a bit. He's playing in Biggar (towards the Scottish
> borders) along with Champion Doug Veitch on December 16th.
> I'm not convinced we're not encroaching into Kershaw territory, but
> thought it might be of interest (well, to anyone who enjoys the Uncut
> CD and lives in the south of Scotland!)

are you sure? i went for a spin around bhundu boys pages after hearing their
track (it's the highlight of the aformentioned cd) and found various sites
saying he'd committed suicide:

http://www.leopardmannen.no/b/bhundu.boys.asp?lang=gb

"The group endured a sad disruption in their careers when one of the founder
members, Biggie Tembo, broke away and went solo at about the same time as
the bass guitarist died of AIDS. Later on, Biggie Tembo committed suicide,
something quite rare in Africa."

big (recent and depressing) interview with his widow and other bhundus here:
http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/showbiz4.13494.html

"In May this year, [Rise] Kagona embarked on a six-date tour of the UK with
Doug Veitch, and the Bhundu Boys guitarist is getting back in contact with
people in the mainstream of the broadcasting world, including Radio 3's Andy
Kershaw."

andy