[peel] John Peel Day

Neil Jenkins neil_jenkins.geo@...
Wed Aug 24 10:54:27 CEST 2005

I know there's bound to be something obvious I've missed and I'll feel incredibly stupid when someone points it out and I go "Oh yeah!! [sheepish giggle]", but ... is there any significance to the date 13 October (apart from being sort of near the anniversary of John's death)?

Martin Wheatley <martinwheatley@...> wrote:

John Peel Day

BBC Radio 1 is to dedicate a day of programming on October 13 to the late DJ John Peel.

Concert venues around the UK are being invited to stage gigs under the banner Peel Day.

Peel died of a heart attack while on holiday in Peru in October 2004 at the age of 65.

Peel worked at Radio 1 for nearly 40 years on his own late-night show.

Radio 1 controller Andy Parfitt said: "Peel Day is about celebrating John's legacy and his unrivalled passion for music.

"It'll be a day of gigs taking place up and down the country, something we feel will be a fitting tribute to John."

A gig in London is also being organised prior to the day, with details to be finalised at a later date.

Peel's widow Sheila said: "John would have been honoured and fairly amazed that the anniversary is being marked in such a way.

"He would appreciate that in years to come Peel Day will give new bands across the country the chance to be heard."

Best regards,
Neil
www.neiljenkins.org