Festive Fifty

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Thu Aug 18 12:59:56 CEST 2005

Martin W:
>Does anyone happen to have a list of the Peel session tracks that have made
>the Festive Fifty since 1981
>I know this is a tall order but before I started trying to work it out I
>thought I'd
>ask in case I was about to reinvent the wheel!

Never seen a list myself... Martin knows this already i.e. the 50s
are listed at http://www.rocklist.net/festive50.htm but it's a timely
bit of info to repost every so often. There's annotations with some
of the years - e.g. for 1987, "The Fall, in an LP-less year - there
is a new album due at the end of February - have but three entries,
two derived from a BBC session." While in 2000, we find "33
 'Wonderwall' (session) - Catpower"
That said, quite often I can recall John playing the session version
of a song during the Festive 50 (even though people would probably
have been voting for the song, which was on record), for apparently
no good reason other than it sounded better - though this might have
been a  good 'needletime' getaround for shows heavy on records and
light on sessions. (I assume needletime doesn't exist any more?)

Stuart