Peel and Death Metal

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Wed Apr 20 13:07:11 CEST 2005

>did anyone see channel 4's top 100 albums on sunaday?
>
>http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/G/greatest/albums/results.html
>
>not a patch on 1998 or 99's music of the millenium
>with King John Peel, Jo Whiley, Justine Frishman, Paul
>Gambachini and Bob Geldof.
>I've got it on tape somewhere. A good clash of views
>and good footage as far as i remember.
>
>Im not sure if it was jo or john who said 'after the
>break we'll see if any of those crucial Fall lp's have
>made it into the chart.' classic.

maybe not Jo - after all, she greeted Trout Mask Replica's appearance
with "Captain Beefheart? Who's he? Never heard of him!"

On a completely shameless self-promotion tip, have a look at the top
100 Scottish albums.
http://www.isthismusic.com/top100albumsvoteresult.htm

I don't think I would be getting above myself to suggest there'd have
been more of john's favourites in that one than the new Channel 4 one!

>In so many of the articles published in the last few months I find
>references to John playing Death Metal music. Yet beyond the time of
>late 80s/early 90s grindcore groups like Napalm Death, Bolthrower and
>Carcass, I don't remember hearing him playing this kind of music at all.
>
>I'd be very grateful if someone could enlighten me on this.

well, I do remember Trencher playing live very recently so I assume
they were favourites. That said, I'm never sure of the differences
between death/black/grind/speed/heavy metal. (I just got sent the new
Motley Crue compilation though, i was able to file that one pretty
easily!)

Stuart