Sublime with the ridiculous

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Thu Oct 28 21:12:22 CEST 2004

Saying thank you for 35 years of listening pleasure is the easy bit.  So many memorable moments, some fortuitously captured on tape, and others merely distant memories. What is harder to deal with is knowing that this is the end of the eclectic mix, the beautifully crafted sublime with the ridiculous.

Last night I could have wallowed in the old C90's, but instead I made the effort to get out and see a band.  Not easy on a Wednesday in Brussels, but I went to see Horace Andy playing with a great backing band.  Still in great voice, singing dancehall, but also loads of really echoey dub. John would have been proud - no "white boys playing guitars" in sight, and a room full of young kids dancing to someone who first recorded in 1966.  But you have to ask; who'll play the dub now?

John